Saturday, May 30, 2015

Letter to future APELC Student (TOW#29)

       As a newcomer to the APELC class, I was filled with doubts and questions. I was uncertain of my chances of success and plagued by horrible rumors from the mouth of many graduating APELC “veterans”. Whether or not you have the same mentality I do not know, but I know that you want success and happiness. Therefore, remember this one wisdom even if you will eventually forget all other aspects of this letter: work hard but work with purpose.

       In hindsight and to your relief, I realized that many of the terrible rumors about APELC are inherently not true. Yes, the class may be hard, challenging, and even annoying at times, but the class will never be impossible as long as you show your effort. The Plato readings and unit exams you will confront are going to challenge your analytical minds, but you will also find so satisfying sense of success once you began to understand the Plato readings and improve in your unit exams. The difficulty of the class will always be the same, but I am convinced that you will find the class increasingly easier as the year goes on. Trust in your instructors because they are skilled and are capable of stretching you to a new level of maturity and insight. The assignments may be few at times know that they serve a bigger purpose collectively, so always remember to put effort into whatever you do for this class.

       At the very beginning of class, Mr. Yost told us that “it’s just school”. The statement is not to degrade the importance of trying in school but to give us a bigger picture of our life. School is important, but your life and my life do not fetter themselves to our level of successes in school or in APELC. The value of our lives lies within us; I remember the first semester of APELC really gave me a tough time, especially on the unit exam, but all the stress I felt was but a insignificant point in my past now. All the worries I had about my grades were so trivial. The value of APELC is the knowledge it offers, and the grade, if you work, will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment